Friday, April 22, 2005

I Am An Idiot!

OR: "How I Was So Ambivalent About The Spring Interweave Knits That I Bought It Twice."

I am a creature of habit. Every few weeks I make a point to stop in Barnes and Noble and Michaels to check for new knitting magazines. I like to flip through all the ones I can find, although Vogue and IK are my favorites. I've thought about getting a subscription, but for me it's equal parts process and product, so I'm willing to pay the few extra bucks a year to go to the store and browse around.

I usually flip through the magazine in the store, and if there are 5 patterns that I'd either consider knitting or adapting into other knits, then I'll buy it. Ocassionally I'll make an allowance for a really good sock pattern or something.

I guess back in February I must've gone to Barnes and Noble and found the Spring IK. I remember it now, naturally, because it's too late. I flipped through it, didn't see too much that I was thrilled with, but bought it anyway. It had a nice sock pattern, and a few other things that I thought could easily be adapted into a non-shrug creation. I brought it home, flipped through it again, and not being immediately inspired, put it upstairs with my other knitting magazines.

In the meantime the Spring Vogue came out, which I found much more exciting. Even though it now also resides upstairs with my other magazines, I still remember it because of the nifty leaf-patterned scarves at the end. Yes, I love leaves. :)

Over the past 3 weeks or so, I've seen a lot of people talking about patterns from the Spring IK on their blogs or on the Knitlist. I went to the website and looked at the magazine, and thought "Oh shit, how did I miss that one?"

I went to Barnes and Noble and Michaels, and was definitely annoyed that they both seemed to be lacking in such a popular knitting magazine. I looked around online, but wasn't willing to pay $6.00 for shipping on a $6.99 magazine. So I decided to suck it up and go to the snooty LYS here in town, hoping they'd have this magazine that I had somehow managed to miss on the shelves of my usual haunts.

Last night Andrew and I went to the LYS, on our way to the mall for him to buy a hat. Luck of lucks, they had one last copy of the Spring IK. They also had the Summer one, which I immediately snapped up. Did I flip through either one of them first? No, of course not. Now the Summer one I am sure I do not own, as it's only been out for a few days. The Spring one on the other hand...

In the car, on the way to the mall, Andrew asks me how much I'll actually use these magazines, given what I paid for them. I start flipping through the Spring mag, pointing out the socks... and a few shrugs that I thing could be modified into cardigans... and then I notice the section on brioche stitch... and I realize "Oh shit, I bought the same magazine twice, and now I remember why I forgot about it."

There has to be a cosmic joke in there somewhere.

Of course, I couldn't bring myself to admit this to Andrew, so I pretended all was fine. However, I know that here in blogworld many of you will laugh along with my stupidity, and perhaps have similar stories of your own.

In the meantime, if anyone out there is looking for the Spring '05 IK, I'd be happy to sell you a copy for cover price plus shipping.

I'm so glad it's Friday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home