Friday, March 11, 2005

Slump? What Slump?

I debated about posting one last picture of my Sockapalooza socks before shipping them off. I have today off from work, and tried to take advantage of the natural light. I was moderately successful:

In one of those bizarre twists of photo-taking, my camera seemed to pick up more of the detail of the towel the socks are drying on than of the socks themselves. Hence the debate about posting the picture. Oh, and although the sock on the right looks smaller than the one on the left for some reason, I assure you they are indeed the same size.

Final summary of the Sockapalooza sock: Regia 4-ply in color #2139, a heathered dark berry-ish color. 88 sts cast on size 0 needles, at 11 sts per inch. Pattern is Kit Zerbe's Dimple pattern from www.knitnet.com.

Anyhoo, I seem to have recovered from my knitting slump. This is what I've been up to the last 2 days:


That's Opal Brasil 5001. It produces some groovy rainbow and fair isle stripes. Even better, it's all stockinette all the time, baby! This is the first pair of machine-dyed self-stripers I've knit in about 9 months, and it's actually kind of nice to go back to a bit of mindless - yet exciting looking - sock knitting.

I was thinking about it the other day, and I realized that since I started sock knitting 4 years ago, I've knit 43 pairs total, with 24 of those pairs being knit on size 0 needles, at the gauge of 10 1/2 - 11 stitches per inch. The majority of the rest were worsted-weight socks for CIC, although my first pair of socks were knit on size 3. Pair 2 was on size 1, pair 3 on size 0. I progressed down the scale pretty fast. :) Only one pair of my socks have ever grown holes; they were knit from a single-ply yarn on size 1 needles. I have, unfortunately, been unsuccessful in my attempts to darn them so they can be returned to the original recipient. Whoops. :)

Anyway, there was no point to all that, just something I was thinking about the other day.

The Rainbow Jacket has had zero attention since I frogged back to the cuff. I don't have the heart to ask how it's dealing with the neglect.

Part of Andrew's anniversary gift was ordered from Amazon.com, so I took advantage of it and ordered myself a two new knitting books (which I needed like another hole in my head):


I've been wanting to try mittens for a while now (having been inspired by the Yarn Harlot), and Scarf Style has gotten lots of rave reviews, so they both seemed like good choices. I'd also like to acquire Nancy Bush's Folk Knitting in Estonia at some point, but I've had difficulty finding it used or on Amazon. No hurry, though. Andrew also gave me a copy of Knit Lit Too for our anniversary, which I've been having a great time reading over the last few days. I'm really amazed at some of the stories in these books - it's amazing how much knitting has meant to some of the authors and the people in their lives. I feel privildged to belong to such a group of wonderful, thoughtful, and kind-hearted people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home