Sunday, January 02, 2005

Happy New Year

Happy (belated) New Year, everyone! I hope 2005 is starting off on a positive note for everyone out there in blogland.

I had a great Christmas this year. It was the first holiday since 1996 that I wasn't traveling long-distance, and I must say I like it better this way. Andrew and I started off Christmas day by opening our "Santa" gifts (tea and a UVa hat for me; the Complete Works of Oscar Wilde for him). After that, we packed up the car, and headed off to Andrew's aunt and uncle's house in Orange, about 45 minutes from us. Besides Richard and Karen and their daughters Jessie and Eliza, Andrew's grandparents (John and Kitty) and dad (Greg) and brother (Matt) were there. We had a nice afternoon eating (the cookies were a big hit), playing games, and just chatting. After that, Andrew and I drove up to Woodbridge, dropped off our stuff at Greg's house, and then went to visit his mum, Marcia, for a bit.

Sunday we actually celebrated Christmas, and spent the better part of 4 hours opening gifts (they're a one-at-a-time-with-accompanying-story kind of family). We all had a really nice time. Here are a few highlight photos:

This is Marcia, with that hat I knitted her on. It matches a Homespun scarf I knitted for her last Christmas. That is absolutely the last hat I'll ever knit with Homespun. It is an evil and dastardly yarn. Marcia also loved the socks, and the fit perfectly (no picture, though. Oops.)

Speaking of socks:

Andrew loved the Schottische Kilt Hose, aka The Lunchtime Socks.

Maybe I should've called them the "carpet camouflage socks." :)

Finally, since this gift generated such joyous excitement, here's Andrew with the mystery gift I bought last week, a shiny new Nintendo DS:


It is important to note that this gift wasn't actually from me. I played personal shopper and bought it on behalf of Andrew's brother, Matt (thereby saving his ass, since he does all his shopping on the 24th). My big gift to Andrew (besides the socks) was Metroid Prime 2: Echoes for his GameCube. That was the gift I had been referring to as "Ball" in some of my previous posts. However, I've since discovered that Andrew definitely doesn't read my blog, so I guess the codenames were a waste of time. But, hey, spy games are fun every now and again. :)

As for me, everyone was very generous this year, and I got all kinds of neat gifts, including (but not limited to) the Matrix box set, Vivian Hoxbro's "Shadow Knitting", and Nancie Wiseman's "The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques." Andrew also gave me Alton Brown's new baking book "I'm Just Here for More Food: Food x Mixing + Heat = Baking." Obviously, you can see what I'll be spending the next few months doing. :)

I also used the Barnes and Noble gift card my boss gave me to buy Nicky Epstein's "Knitting on the Edge." What a cool book.

More about actual Christmas-week knitting in a bit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home