Saturday, January 22, 2005

Ah, yes...

Yup, it's another monster update from me. So much for the more-frequent-blogging resolution. Although, for the record, I did manage to send out all my thank-you notes early last week. So I'm only a partial slacker.

To start things off, this is what greeted me when I opened up the shades in the living room on Thursday morning:

Lovely, isn't it? It snowed again today, so there's a nice powdered sugar dusting on everything.

Now, on to the knitting.......

First, the NippleHat. Here it is laying flat on the kitchen table:


And here it is stuffed with some random paper:

Now, remember that I said it was 3 inches too tall. So just imagine a round head in that shape, with 3 inches stick up on the top. Get the name now? And no, I will not post a picture of myself wearing the NippleHat.

Here's how it spent most of the week:


And here's how it looks today, after a little quality time:

I busted out 3 new skeins of yarn to re-knit this. I'll used the recycled yarn to knit my own hat. Either way, this will be the THIRD time I've started this hat. Maybe I should just give in and accept the message that is clearly being sent to me. Nah.

Speaking of hats, here's Andrew's hat as it looked last Saturday:


And here's how it looks as of noon today:

He loves it. Thank god. He wore it to the grocery store today, and it didn't look goofy, or especially homemade. The only change I'd make is to move the stripes a bit lower, and to duplicate stitch at the seam to disguise the half-stitch jog at the join. Otherwise, I'm thrilled with the way it turned out, and would definitely knit another one.
Details: Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepard Sport, Orange and Navy, 2 skeins each, with yarn doubled throughout. Needles: Size 8 24" circulars, and size 8 dpn's at end. Pattern: Alison's Double-knit hat pattern. This pattern was excellent, and I highly recommend it for anyone looking to make a similarly-styled hat. I had enough yarn left over that I think I can make a matching pair of socks. We'll see.

On to other things...

My Crusoe socks are moving along nicely:

This pic is a bit old; I'm now done with the gusset decreases, and about 1/2" down the instep. I don't anticipate any problems with being done by the end of the month so I can start my Sockapalooza socks (see sidebar for link and details).

Mum's scarf, meant to match the hat, is still waiting for its pockets to be sewn up. Andrew's hat has been front and center all week, but now that it's done, I plan to finish the scarf this weekend.

This is how it looked blocking in the library:

(Pardon the mess. I was cleaning out my old student loan stuff, and it didn't quite make it to the trash before I took the pic.)

Here's a better, more "artsy" photo:


I really loved working with the yarn for this scarf, but I was really surprised at how drastically it stretched out after washing. I guess I should've used smaller needles. ;)

Finally, since I forgot to post it before, here's a quick shot of the yarn Courtney and Val gave me for Christmas:

I don't own much yarn in the red/pink spectrum, so this is a great addition to my stash. And even better - it was a gift, so I didn't break my yarn diet (which is now into month 2).

Okay! So there's my week in a nutshell. Have a great weekend everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home