Wednesday, December 01, 2004

I've Lost It

No, I'm not cracking up (although I really wonder sometimes). Of course, I can only speak for myself. God only knows what others think of my sanity.

Anyway...

I decided to knit the Multidirectional Diagonal Scarf. I was surfing my daily dose of blogs today, and ran across someone who had just finished it. It looked cute, and very easy. Perfect for a Christmas gift, to replace the now-abandoned cotton geometric scarf for Andrew's aunt Liz.

I contemplated my stash while I was at work, trying to think of what variegated yarns I had at home in large enough quantity for this project. Fortunately, my stash is small enough (ha!) that I can scan through most of it mentally, and usually have a good idea of what's hidden in the boxes. I couldn't think of anything good. Damn.

Got home, and discovered Andrew napping on the couch (lucky!), so I came upstairs to go through my stash in person to see what could be found. Lo and behold, I stumbled across some silk I bought from Wool in the Woods ages ago off Ebay. At the time, I was going to make socks out of it, hoping they'd be thin enough to wear with a pair of shoes I had just bought. Never mind that the yarn and shoes clashed horribly, or that none of my other handmade socks could be worn with the shoes (too tight). It was a good excuse to buy yarn. Regardless, I'm sure I bought 4 hanks of the yarn. I've found three of them. For the life of me, I have no idea where that damn 4th hank is. I'm sure I bought it, and I'm sure I didn't use it. It must be in there. I only have 3 boxes of yarn - it's a finite space. Surely I should be able to find one ball of yarn.

It's gone. Just disappared into the vapor. My only thought is that it either didn't make the move with me from Nashville, or its still hanging out in the basement of my grandparents house with my cast-off acrylic yarn (left over from my early knitting days when I wasn't such a yarn snob). The point being, it's not here, in Charlottesville, where I need it to be. So my dilemma is... do I go ahead with the scarf, using the yarn I have (since the 600 yards I have is plenty), or do I wait until I'm in Boston next, and hope the hank turns up before then?

You know what's going to happen, too, don't you? If I wait, and search my grandparent's basement, I won't find the yarn. It really will be gone for good. If, however, I go ahead and make the scarf, the yarn will turn up quite mysteriously about 3 days after I've finished the scarf, thus leaving me with 200 yards of silk yarn, and really nothing to do with it. Grrr....

If I do knit this scarf from this yarn, I'm going to name the finished product "Clementine." As in the song. You know...
"Oh my darling,
Oh my darling,
Oh my darling, Clementine.
You were lost and gone forever,
something, something,
Clementine."

Compounding all this is my questionable like of the colorway, and whether or not it'll look good 1) knit up in this pattern, and 2) on Liz after I give it to her. Ugh. Why couldn't the damn LYS have sold me the Rowan 4-ply soft I originally wanted for the advertized price? Then I wouldn't be having these angsty problems.

Oh well. I'm going to go wind yarn and hope some miracle will happen, either in the form of some magically reproducing hanks of silk yarn, or in the form of some kind of actual decision about what to do for this pain-in-the-ass-because-I-can't-decide-what-the-hell-to-do Christmas gift.

Maybe I should just buy her something. Isn't that what normal people do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home