Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Feeling Better...

Ah the beauty of drugs. Gotta love those cold pills. They make blogging possible when I should otherwise be laid up in bed. I actually am feeling a good bit better, thank you for asking.

I've had a decent bit of knitting progress over the last few days. First, I finished Mum's Clown Socks on Saturday afternoon:


Yay for completed projects! One Christmas present down, three to go, and 46 days of furious knitting to come!

I started my next pair of socks, which will be the Fluted Banister socks from the Six Socks Knitalong, for Andrew's mother, Marcia. I used some Regia Color I dug out of my stash (yay for stash knitting!), but I left the ball band downstairs, so I'm not sure of the color number.


As you can see, progress thus far has been slow.

I also started a scarf for Andrew's aunt, Liz. Before recounting the annoyingness that was the yarn purchase for this scarf, let me show you the scarf itself:


The pattern is from Vogue Scarves, it's the "Geometric Scarf" pattern. I'm not loving it, but it's a fairly simple knit, so it's good for working on while engaged in reality TV. (Who, me?)

As for my less-than-happy LYS experience, I'll try to be brief (ha ha). I went to my LYS, which I've only shopped at once before, looking for about 600 yards of a sport weight yarn, preferably wool or a wool/cotton blend for this scarf. I didn't really want to spend over $20, which I didn't think was unreasonable. After much wandering around a petting of the yarn, I finally decided on some Rowan 4-ply Soft, a lovely 100% merino yarn. The price tag on the bin said $4.80 a ball, and I thought I'd need 4 balls. Perfect. A nice yarn, and right within my price range.

I go up to the register, and lo and behold, the saleslady looks it up in their rolodex, and writes the price down as $8.50! What? I point out the problem, saying that the yarn was advertized as $4.80 on the bin, not the $8.50 she was trying to charge me. She says "Well, it says $8.50 on the card." Right, I get that part. The problem is that is says $4.80 on the bin. I mention this, in polite language. "See, it was crossed out here, and now it says $8.50." Okay, I'm not disputing what the card says. I'm disputing what you're advertising. Then she says "I'd better go check the tag, and correct that." Yes, you'd better. She comes back, and by this point I'd already taken the yarn out of my shopping bag, and says "so did you still want the yarn?" No apology, no indication that she nearly charged me 75% more than what was advertized, no acknowledgement that they had committed such an oversight in the store, just "do you still want the yarn?" Now, I realize LYS's are small businesses, and that they work hard to turn a profit, and therefore can't afford to honor the original price that was displayed. But am I being unreasonable in expecting an apology for such an error? Had I not noticed that, my $20 scarf would've become a $35 scarf. That's just too much to spend on a scarf, in my mind, especially one as simple and basic as this. (And just for the record, most places on the internet have 4-ply Soft listed at ~$8.50, so I have no idea what they were thinking with that $4.80 tag. Must've been a serious sale.)

Anyway, I landed up driving over to Michael's (the only other source of yarn nearby, besides Walmart), and got some Paton's Grace 100% cotton, in a nice light green colorway (#60027, Ginger). I don't do much work with cotton (okay, I don't do any), and I can't say I love the way it looks, but it is turning out nicely. I think I'll still stick predominatly to wool in the future, though.

On to happier news... in the mail today I got the pattern for the Constant Companion bag, which I had ordered last week. I may or may not make Christmas gifts out of one or two. We'll see how ambitious I'm feeling.

I also got the Noro Knits book, which has the pattern for the Butterfly sweater in it. I'm looking forward to knitting that, along with several other items from the book (because, you know, I don't have nearly enough future projects in mind). I'm not sure if I'll use the Noro yarns recommended, or if I'll substitute. I'm just not in love enough with any of their colorways to make a whole sweater. We'll see.

In other news... this post has gotten excessively long. More tomorrow, with an update on my first attempt as some socks from Nancy Bush's Folk Socks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home