Monday, October 25, 2004

Pie!

Well, I finally got around to making an apple pie with all those apples from Carter Mountain. I decided to go with the French Apple Pie, for two reasons: 1) I have a terrible sweet tooth, so a brown-sugar topping was right up my alley. 2) This was my first attempt at pie crust (well, at a pie at all, really), so I didn't want to have to make 2.

Overall, I was quite pleased with how it turned out. My crust was appropriately flakey, the apples shrunk down to an acceptible height (I started with a real mountain before cooking), and the topping was sweet without being overbearing. (God, I sound like a wine reviewer.)

I took the pie to work today, and it was a big hit. Just wait until I introduce them to my cookies. Then they'll be my slaves for life.

Whoops, the arrogant streak got out for a second there. Anyway, I was pleased to have a nice apple-based success after the disaster of the apple cake, and the less-than-successful apple sauce and baked apples. Needless to say, I've concluded that Fuji apples are not good to cook with (at least, that's what I'm telling myself...).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home