Thursday, October 14, 2004

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Happy Thursday!
First the good news: I love my job, tomorrow is payday, and The Apprentice is on tonight. Yes, I've become a reality TV addict.

On to the bad news... remember those clown socks I was knitting for my mum? You know, that cute one in the picture below this post? Well, I was working merrily on them the other night, my mind's eye already looking ahead to the post-Christmas knitfest, and the gorgeous cabled sweater I'll be making out of Filatura di Crosa Luna yarn, and, sadly, my mind's eye forgot how to count correctly. Somehow, in my easily distracted brain, I forgot that I had cast on 90 stitches, not 118 as my unable-to-count brain seemed to think. When I was dividing for the heel, I wanted 44 stitches for the heel flap, 46 for the top of the foot. That adds up to 90, right? Well, for some foolish reason I thought I had 30 stitches on needles 1, 2, and 3, and 18 on needle 4. So I moved 4 stitches from 3 to 2, and then knitted the entire heel flap (2 lunch hours worth of work).

But wait, you all say - you didn't have 30 stitches on needle 3, you only had 24.

Yes, says I. You're right. But somehow when I divided the stitches, I didn't remember that. So when I went to actually begin turning the heel this afternoon, imagine my displeasure at discovering I was 6 stitches short of a full heel flap.

I haven't frogged it yet. I wanted to maintain my happy composure for the boring training class I had to go to this afternoon. Maybe I'll frog tonight while I watch The Donald with his badly woven hairpiece and arbitrary firing criteria. (Yes, I really do enjoy that show though. Must be the sadist in me.)

Anyhoo... here's a picture to keep my trend going. I made these socks about 2 years ago, I think.



Yet another picture completely unrelated to what I've talked about today. These were my first pair of Lorna's Laces socks, in the River colorway. I did a simple 1-st purl twist down the leg and foot, so I called them my "Twisted River" socks. (Clever, huh?) Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home